Recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
Tiramisu CupcakesMakes 12-16 cupcakes
For the cake
80g unsalted butter
280g caster suga
r240g plain flour, sifted
¼ tsp salt1tbsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
For the soaking syrup
250ml strong coffee
3tbsp caster sugar
For the filling and frosting
300ml double cream
30g icing sugar, sifted
cocoa powder, for dusting
Method:1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/mark 5 and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Beat together the butter, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Mix three quarters of the wet ingredients into the butter-flour mixture and once well combined, incorporate the final quarter.
5. Dive the batter between the muffin cases, filling each by by about two thirds. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes away clean. Leave to cool a little, remove from the muffin pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. For the syrup, stir together the coffee, kahlua and sugar and bring to the boil. Continue to heat until the volume has reduced by about half.
7. For the filling and frosting, mix together the mascarpone and kahlua. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream and sugar to soft peaks and fold into the mascarpone.
8. Cut small cones from the top of each cupcake, about 2cm in diameter and 3cm deep. Pour a teaspoon of syrup into each hollow and soak each cone with a teaspoon of syrup. Fill the hollows to about halfway with the mascarpone filling. Replace the cones, trimming to fit if necessary, and frost the tops with the remaining mixture.